When a couple is getting divorced, it is not uncommon for the person who changed their last name at the time of marriage to decide they would like to return to their previous or maiden name. If a person is changing their name in a divorce proceeding, there is no extra fee. If the person is the petitioner (person petitioning the court for a divorce), they should let their attorney know that they would like to change their name. In the petition for dissolution, the attorney will state that the person would like to be returned to their previous or maiden name. The Iowa Code states that a person can be returned to their maiden name or the name on their birth certificate. A person may also return to the name they had immediately before getting married.

If you are the respondent in a divorce (person who is responding to a divorce petition), then it’s important that you also let the court know if you want to return to a previous or maiden name in your answer to the divorce petition.

If you have begun a divorce action, or if you have been served a divorce petition, it’s important to let your attorney know whether or not you’d like to keep your married name or be returned to a prior name as early as possible in the proceedings.

Once the divorce is finalized, you will need to obtain a certified copy of your divorce decree in order to get a new social security card and driver’s license.

If you have other questions about name changes, Arenson Law Group is here to serve your needs. Please call or email Arenson Law Group, PC today for an initial consultation at (319) 363-8199.

Written by James H. Arenson

Last Updated : February 28, 2024