Iowa City Business Lawyers
Start-up, small business, and ongoing businesses need legal advice, but unlike large corporations or chain business operators, they don’t have the luxury of an in-house attorney or corporate legal department to help them when they have questions. When you need advice on purchasing a new property, hiring new employees, or want a legal opinion on a contract before signing, you need an attorney.
That is where Arenson Law Group, PC can help. We are a business law firm dedicated to helping local businesses with all their legal needs. Whether you need help with contract formation and review, equipment leasing or purchasing, operating agreements, real property leasing or purchasing, we have the skills and expertise to guide your business through the legal steps and reach the top successfully.
Our Practice Areas
Arenson Law Group, PC has over thirty years of combined experience in business law, and with our location in Iowa City, IA, we are able to assist clients in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Multi-jurisdictional legal matters are common in the tri-state area, so we are proud to be able to provide advice in matters including:
- Business formation. If you are considering becoming an LLC, a corporation, or remaining a sole proprietorship or general partnership, we can help you write up the documentation necessary for the state and local government.
- Contracts. Any contract states that you should have it reviewed by independent legal counsel before signing. When creating a contract, the same is true. We provide help with contract preparation, review, and negotiation. If you have questions or concerns about any legal documents, we can assist you with an explanation and review before you commit to anything described in it.
- Agreements. The agreement is its own category of contract. It can be an agreement for purchase or an agreement for hire. We offer services for agreement preparation and review for a wide range of agreements.
- Dissolution and liquidation. When it comes time to terminate a business relationship, or to wind up a company, there are procedures to follow to end the business decisively and permanently. We can help you with this process.
- Automotive law. Opening an auto dealership is a lucrative business, but it’s even more complicated than the typical business due to franchisee paperwork and regulations. Fortunately, our founder is a former auto dealer himself, and we can walk you through even these onerous requirements.
- Construction defect law. If you were a victim of shoddy construction or breach of contract, you need a good attorney, and soon. This is a specialized branch of law and one bound by strict statutes of limitation. The sooner an attorney reviews the contract, the better.
Do I Need a Business Attorney?
Everyone likes to do things themselves. Do-it-yourself books and legal websites provide documents and advice on how to form an LLC or how to write a contract yourself. You can fill these forms out and take them to the court without any further assistance or explanation.
At Arenson Law Group, PC, we advise against this. The help of an experienced attorney can make all the difference in whether the correct document is filed, whether it is filed in the right court or government department, and in ensuring that all the boxes are checked off and spaces are filled in. If the documents are incomplete or completed improperly, you could spend far more money than the price of a consultation to repair the damage.
If you are a small business, you may not need an attorney every day, but as your business grows, or when circumstances change, you should have someone available that you trust to review your legal affairs.
About Our Team
Founding attorney James Arenson got started not in law but in the automobile business. He spent 22 years as a Chevrolet, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo dealer before obtaining his law degree in 1995. This gives him a unique insight into both business law and automotive law. Mr. Arenson especially understands the complicated processes of opening and operating an auto dealership and can guide would-be franchise operators through the process of starting a successful business.
The goals of Arenson Law Group, PC are to provide top-tier legal advocacy for our clients from the start of their case through negotiation to conclusion. We strive to build a good working relationship with all our clients and create a long-term business relationship that they can depend on for all their legal needs.
I Don’t Have a Business. Can You Still Help Me?
Certainly. Arenson Law Group, PC has attorneys with experience in other areas besides business and automotive law. Our two principal areas other than business are:
- Estate planning. Planning for the disposition of property after your death or the death of a loved one is never pleasant, but it can spare your loved ones the extra stress of litigation should you die without a will. We can help you with a will, a living trust, a power of attorney, and other planning measures to arrange matters in advance of any issues. We will draft the document and can help make any changes in the future as your estate or dispositions change over time.
- Family law. Prenuptial agreements, divorce, property division, custody arrangements, and more are all emotionally charged and can be highly contentious issues. Having a skillful and compassionate attorney at your side can make things go more smoothly, if not pleasantly, and we can make sure you and your family’s interests are protected throughout the ordeal. As with any case involving paperwork, it is always better to have an attorney review the documents, even if you are handling the filing yourself.
Contact Us Today
Whether you want to start a business, own your own auto dealership, or have an existing business that needs to be updated, you need friendly, knowledgeable legal advice. Don’t think that lawyers are only for big corporations or wealthy businessmen. The attorneys here can help large and small businesses alike, and we are waiting to help you. Contact Arenson Law Group, PC at (319) 363-8199 to set up a consultation today.