Show Cause Cases

Every aspect of the divorce agreement signed by you and your former spouse is legally binding. That being said, you or your partner may be considered to be in contempt of court if either of you fail to act in accordance with your divorce agreement—including your custody, child support, and alimony agreements, for instance. However, before a person can be punished for being in contempt, the alleged offender must be served with what is known as a “rule to show cause,” which essentially summons the alleged offender to court in order to explain him – or herself.

If you need help creating a notice to show cause or if you will need to explain yourself before the court in a show cause case, the Cedar Rapids show cause attorneys at the Arenson Law Group, PC, can help you understand this legal process and direct you on how you might proceed. Though all of this can seem somewhat daunting, our attorneys can provide you with the legal counsel you need to effectively move through the legal process.

Issues Addressed in Show Cause Cases

It is during the process of a show cause case that the court will hear out the parent who allegedly violated the terms of his or her divorce agreement. Unless that parent is able to demonstrate that his or her violation is excusable under a rather narrow set of circumstances, the offending parent may be found to be in contempt of court and subject to court-ordered penalties. Bearing all of this in mind, show cause cases typically involve one or more of the following situations:

  • Custodial parents not honoring visitation agreements
  • Non-custodial parents being delinquent with child support
  • Former spouses not honoring alimony agreements
  • Failing to provide health insurance for a child

As overwhelming as the coming legal process may seem, it is important to understand just how much may be riding on the outcome of your case. Aside from the fact that you will be fighting to protect your child’s best interests, there are a range of serious penalties that may be handed down if you or your former partner is found to be in contempt of court.

Consult with a Divorce Attorney in Cedar Rapids

If you need to summon your former partner with a notice to show cause or if you will need to defend your behavior in a show cause case, the Cedar Rapids divorce attorneys from the Arenson Law Group, PC, can help you understand your situation and work through any legal action that may be necessary. To speak with one of our attorneys about filing a notice to show cause or about what you will need to do in order to protect yourself, please call our offices at (319) 363-8199 today.

Written by James H. Arenson

Last Updated : January 7, 2022
(319) 363-8199