Penalties for Failing to Pay Child Support

If you are owed child support, Arenson Law Group, PC can protect your rights and ensure you get what you are owed. Child support is a major issue in family law, and failure to pay it carries severe penalties. Loss of privileges, fines, and even imprisonment are all possible for those who fail to pay what they owe. If you are involved in a legal dispute involving child support, you need to know the possible penalties.

The Cedar Rapids child support lawyers at Arenson Law Group, PC can discuss your situation with you to see what your options legal options are. We can discuss the possible consequences of the failure to pay and how you can recover what you are owed. To schedule a consultation, contact us today at (319) 363-8199.

Is an attorney necessary?

In order to bring penalties to the person who failed to pay you child support, you will have to petition the court. To do this effectively, you will need a comprehensive knowledge of the law, court procedures, and what the facts of your specific situation really mean. The legal system is extremely complex, and it can take years of experience to get a good understanding of how it works. Mistakes can mean that the person who owes you might escape justice, and you might be left with bills you can’t afford.

With so much at stake, you need the help of an experienced child support lawyer. They will be able to investigate your particular situation and craft an argument that will ensure you get the money you need, and the person who owes you faces the consequences they deserve. Let an attorney handle the legal issues of your case while you focus on living your life.

Why is Arenson Law Group, PC the best choice to handle my case?

Arenson Law Group, PC has been operating since 2000, and we are dedicated to helping our clients with their legal issues, including child support. We have represented thousands of clients and have received excellent results for them. Arenson Law Group, PC is experienced, passionate, and devoted to assisting our clients in their time of need. We are always willing to hear your case out and provide whatever assistance we can. Call us today at (319) 363-8199 so we can hear the details of your situation and start building a case for you.

What are the penalties for failing to pay child support?

Iowa law requires parents to support their children until they are at least 18 years old. Child support is one way that a parent can be required to provide this support, and failing to pay it carries severe potential penalties. If someone fails to follow a child support order, they may face many penalties, including:

  • Being Held in Contempt: If someone fails to follow a child support order, then the court can hold them in contempt. If a person is held in contempt, they can be fined or imprisoned.
  • Restricted Mobility: The courts can limit the travel of those who fall behind on child support, in order to prevent them from fleeing their responsibilities. They can do this is by revoking the driver’s license of the person failing to pay, or preventing the person from acquiring or renewing a passport, limiting that person’s ability to travel for either work or pleasure.
  • Withholding Income: The court can collect the owed funds directly from the person’s employer, preventing them from spending it on anything else.
  • Garnishing Bank Accounts: The court can similarly extract the necessary funds directly from the paying parent’s bank account.
  • Intercepting Tax Returns: The court can intercept the paying parent’s tax refunds and deliver it to the parent who is owed the child support instead.
  • Lien of Property: The court may seize property, including homes and land, until the child support is paid. They may also sell that property to pay the child support, if necessary.

The court is the entity with the power to penalize someone for failing to comply with a child support order, but it is the injured party who has to bring the claim. If you are owed child support, make sure to contact Arenson Law Group, PC right away so we can file your claim with the court. Remember, the court is the only entity that can issue penalties for failing to follow a child support order. Do not try to take matters into your own hands.

Contact Us

The divorce lawyers of Arenson Law Group, PC are experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate. If you are owed child support, we can help you get the money you need. Don’t wait until complications arise to start looking for help: seek legal aid today. Contact us at (319) 363-8199 to set up a consultation. We will listen to your side of the situation and start representing you in the way that you deserve.

(319) 363-8199