Understanding Show Cause Cases

A show cause case is an opportunity to explain yourself if you are accused of violating the terms of a legally binding divorce agreement. A divorce agreement generally includes stipulations surrounding issues such as custody, alimony, and child support. When an individual fails to uphold his or her end of these agreements, he or she is held in contempt of court. Before the court penalizes an alleged offender, the offender may receive a “rule to show cause,” which asks him or her to come to court to explain the situation.

Common Issues Addressed in Show Cause Cases

If the alleged offender fails to show that his or her violation of the divorce agreement is excusable, the court will find the offender to be in contempt of court. Many cases involve divorced couples with children. Issues addressed in show cause cases can include:

  •  Failure to honor visitation rights
  •  Failure to pay child support
  •  Former spouses not honoring alimony agreements
  •  Failure to provide health insurance for a child

Failure to meet the terms dictated in a divorce agreement may stem from a parent’s belief that he or she knows what is best for the child. Oftentimes, a spouse believes that their ex-partner should not have access to the children. Whatever the case may be, if you need to summon your former partner or if you receive a summons yourself, you should seek legal assistance.

Contact a Cedar Rapids Show Cause Attorney

Cedar Rapids divorce attorneys with the Arenson Law Group, PC, can help you prepare for a show cause case and help you with any hurdles that may come up. To speak with an attorney and get the support you need to protect yourself, contact our Cedar Rapids office at (319) 363-8199 today.

Written by James H. Arenson

Last Updated : November 23, 2021