Cedar Rapids Post-Secondary Education Dispute Attorneys

Higher education can be expensive. You have to pay for tuition, a room, books, a meal card, and other associated expenses. When you are getting a divorce or already divorced, you might have questions about who is responsible for these costs. Arenson Law Group, PC is knowledgeable about the rules that determine which parent should pay, how much they must contribute, and what is required of the child to be eligible for financial assistance from their parents.

Getting a divorce is frequently stressful, especially if you have kids. When one of them is college-bound or already attending college, you might argue about who’s going to pay their tuition. Iowa is one of multiple states where the court can order divorced parents to handle the expenses.

It would be to your benefit to plan ahead and hire Arenson Law Group, PC if you know your child plans to attend college. Our Cedar Rapids post-secondary education dispute attorneys will thoroughly review both party’s financial standings, divorce agreement, child support, and other relevant information to ensure each person is responsible for an appropriate amount.

To find out more about how our award-winning legal team can assist you with this legal matter, call us at (319) 363-8199 for a consultation.

What Is a Post-Secondary Education Subsidy?

Expenses for higher education are not necessarily the responsibility of one parent or the other. It’s possible that neither of you has to pay, depending on the specific circumstances of your situation. If your ex-spouse is paying child support, you might think they should automatically provide the funds for your child’s college education. However, that’s not always the case. A post-secondary education subsidy could require both parents to contribute a certain amount.

The subsidy is:

  • A temporary order or final judgment that determines the amount that one or both parents are responsible for paying; or
  • A decree for educational expenses as long as the child is between 18 and 22 years old and:
    • attending a career course or technical training for a regular school program or under special arrangements that meet their needs; or
    • is attending a university, college, or community college full-time; or
    • was accepted to a university, college, or community college but has not begun the school term yet.

Whether you or your ex initiates this process, there must be good cause for the court to enforce a post-secondary education subsidy. Some of the factors they might consider in their decision include:

  • The child’s age
  • Their abilities for post-secondary education
  • Whether they are self-sufficient
  • The financial standing of each parent
  • The child’s finances

If good cause is shown, the court will determine the amount of the subsidy by reviewing the information below:

  • The cost of pursuing an undergraduate degree by attending an in-state public institution, including the associated necessary post-secondary education expenses.
  • The child’s financial resources, including financial aid they might receive, such as student loans, grants, scholarships, and the income they could earn while attending college to determine an amount they can contribute to their education.

Each parent will be responsible for the remaining amount after subtracting the child’s contribution from the cost of post-secondary education. However, their amounts cannot exceed 33.3% of the total cost.

The custodial parent does not receive payment for the subsidy. Instead, it will go to the educational institution, the child, or both. The court would not grant a subsidy award if the child repudiated a parent by refusing to acknowledge them, publicly disowning them, or both.

While attending college, the child must send documentation of their grades to each parent within ten days of receiving them. If the child does not maintain a cumulative grade point average at or above the median range after the first full year of post-secondary education, the court could terminate the subsidy.

How Arenson Law Group, PC Can Help

It can be a challenge when you’re discussing post-secondary education with your ex-spouse. If you don’t communicate at all, or they refuse to be in your child’s life, it can make matters more complicated. If you believe they should contribute in any way or disobeyed a post-secondary education subsidy, Arenson Law Group, PC can assist you with your case.

Our Cedar Rapids post-secondary education dispute attorneys have over 30 years of experience resolving issues between divorced couples. When it comes to your child’s well-being and future, you want to ensure they have every opportunity to live a successful, happy life. A good education after high school is a good first step.

You can depend on our legal team to diligently handle each step of the legal process on your behalf. We have the resources to effectively review your case’s details to determine the best options for pursuing a subsidy from the other party. We will gather the necessary evidence that proves they should take on at least some of the financial responsibility for your child’s college expenses.

We have extensive experience and knowledge of these proceedings and will aggressively fight in court to uphold your and your child’s rights. Cases like this are often complex. You may not want to resort to legal action to address the issues you have with your ex, but sometimes it’s necessary. At Arenson Law Group, PC, we will create an effective strategy that reaches your goals, so you walk away from this experience feeling like you secured your child’s future.

Let Us Be Your Advocate

Arenson Law Group, PC will advocate for you and your child. We will fight to protect your legal rights and secure the financial contribution necessary to put your son or daughter through college. You won’t have to face these challenges alone. We will stay by your side throughout the entire case.

We provide our clients with personalized one-on-one attention at all times. You will work directly with our highly skilled, compassionate attorneys, and you will always be a priority for us, from start to finish of your case.

If you’re facing a battle with your ex over who should pay for your child’s college expenses, or there’s already a subsidy in place that you want to make modifications to, call us at (319) 363-8199 today. One of our Cedar Rapids post-secondary education dispute attorneys will be happy to meet with you for a consultation.

(319) 363-8199